Monday, February 25, 2013

ABS - Feb


Heijinja, 1941
Tōshi Yoshida
Woodblock Print
(Please note this art is copyrighted and is to be used only as inspiration.)

About the Art
The woodblocks for this print are generally reported as having been carved by Toshi Yoshida himself.
Fresh woodblock prints by Toshi Yoshida are few. The Yoshida estate is no longer printing blocksigned posthumous work; decades ago the original blocks became too worn to use. Pristine handsigned woodblock prints by Master Yoshida are even more rare.
When these scarce treasures are gone, they will not be replaced.

Shin Hanga & Sosaku Hanga 
The shin hanga (literally "new prints") art movement of the early 20th century C.E. in Japan, revitalized traditional ukiyo-e art which had its roots in the 17th through early 19th centuries C.E., maintaining the traditional ukiyo-e collaborative system (hanmoto system) in which the artist, carver, printer and publisher engaged in a division of labor, as opposed to the sōsaku hanga ("creative prints") movement which advocated the principles of jiga ("self-drawn"), jijoku ("self-carved") and jizuri ("self-printed"), in which the artist, with the desire of expressing the self, is the sole creator of art. 


This beautiful painting was our inspiration for February. I went through many version of my design through out the month. Finally deciding to try and step out of the box, I used my skills in crocheting...my first attempt...

 I realized it was coming way to big....so on to plan two.... and while it came closer to my vision, it is still not quite what I wanted, but I was running out of time so I am posting it....knowing that I will be redoing it.  The "art bead" is the beautiful work of Sandy Spivey at GlassArtCabochons. I had a blast looking through her Cabochons and thinking of the cool jewelry I could make....but since this challenge was oriental in subject, I settled on the beautiful red with cream colored blossoms on it.  Hop on over and check out her shop...I did make the pendant so I could take it off when I redo this project or decide on something else.



The black and red beads are a heavy type of plastic with oriental designs.  I bought them at JoAnns.  The yarn is black eyelash with read crochet thread held together.  I can see I still have lots of work to do for it.  I may take it apart and try again.  

 

Here are other pictures of it.  I had crocheted ties on each side so that it could be tied in back....I have the concept down, but I need to do more planning....you will see this one again!

Thanks for looking, you can hop over to Art Bead Scene for more info.  Thanks, I look forward to March's challenge!



1 comment:

  1. Lovely blog, Vera. And nice compatibility with the woodblock print. I love Japanese art and I just learned something new about Japanese art. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete